Thursday, March 31, 2011

When Cooking Strikes Back

As I was thinking about this post, I thought about saying something about something homemade, and that what I made basically turned into a weapon, but I didn't think I wanted to have the CIA knocking down my door anytime soon. Then, I thought about the new shows that I've seen commercials for - "When Vacations Attack!" I'll never watch these shows, because I'm 99% sure that they would give me nightmares.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought some jalapenos to use for a fish taco marinade. When I was putting together the list, we were in the car on the way to/from the wedding in PA. Normally the default amount of jalapenos on the FreshDirect site is .25 pounds, HOWEVER on the iPhone app, the default is a pound. We wound up with a produce bag with 40 jalapenos. Not wanting to waste them, I thought I would try to pickle them. So I did. Last night, they were "done," so I took them off the pantry shelf and put the brine on the stovetop to boil before putting the peppers in the fridge.

Don't try this at home. Unless you don't live in a not-so-well ventilated apartment in NYC. Mr. D and I were coughing for at least an hour. Jalapeno tear gas. Just when you thought it must have vented out - the jalapeno would get down in the back of your throat and you'd have to cough again.

No comments: