Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dinner: Fail

Sunday night I made a pretty unsuccessful dinner. It started out innocently enough, I saw that Fresh Direct had turkey legs on special. Hmm, roasted turkey legs would be tasty. I started out brining the legs. They're funny-shaped little (big) guys, so I put them in a pitcher to sit in the fridge.


PS - Apparently Blogger is a bit like me when reading emails - if there's a picture, I tend to go straight there without reading the rest. Here is the rest of the post:

The brine had salt, some allspice berries, peppercorns, and a bay leaf. They went into the oven for a while, and while they were cooking, I steamed some cauliflower for cauliflower purée - the saving grace of the meal. (Steam the cauliflower, add a few tbsp's of cream/milk/chicken stock a pat of butter, salt and pepper - just like potatoes, but with more vitamins)
The other veggie was going to be some bok choy I had steamed, then frozen. I opened it, we think it was celery greens. I tried steaming and adding some spice to it. They were terrible, smelled so bad I had to take them off the plates because we couldn't eat with them there.
The turkey legs were a disaster too, the skin didn't get crispy, and they were kind of greasy. We struggled through the meal, luckily there weren't any leftovers.

2 comments:

eewhite said...

is this the whole story because i don't understand how the dinner failed.....

Maggie said...

It's not - where is the rest of it? Let me find it.