Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Me = Big Wuss

As you may have read, I had two near-fainting spells this weekend (no, AB, I'm not pregnant). Saturday, I had some cereal and a banana for breakfast, but no coffee. Before brunch, we went hunting around some antique stores for nothing in particular. The first was the flea market located in the parking garage, which is always interesting, if not for the people watching, then for looking for the booth that is all paintings of naked men (which, alas, was not there this weekend, or they have switched out their stock of art). I had seriously misjudged how sticky it would be in the parking lot, so we wound up walking over to the big antique center, where they have the crazy furniture and chandeliers, usually in great condition. There, we saw a pair of rocking horse-sized sheep with chrome faces and real hides - for only $25,000 - we're nt sure if that was each or for the pair.

We still had time to kill, so we went to a smaller antique store that was the mecca for individual salt cellars. This is a big deal, as maybe 15 years ago, my mom started collecting individual sets of salt and pepper shakers. She started with ones she found at antique stores, but once people found out, it started to go downhill from there. One year, I painted a small set, but the people started getting her sets that were, shall we say, a bit larger than individual size. This past year, I was looking for a unique set for my mom, and couldn't find them anywhere. Lo and behold, we saw at least 20 different individual salt cellars at this store. Amazing!

Anyway, about this time, I started to feel a little light-headed, but soldiered on to walk through another store on our way to lunch. After a few minutes, it was too much, I felt hot and light-headed, so we headed to brunch a few minutes earlier, where I started drinking water and some tomato juice to try to combat either dehydration or lack of food. After brunch and an excellent viewing of American Idiot, I felt much better.

Until the next day, when my mom and my sister ventured out with me to explore Central Park, where swinging on the swings set off my next fainting spell. A few sips of water and a rest on a bench and I was good as new.

I have a theory - most of the time at work, I drink a coffee in the morning, then refill the cup at least 5 times throughout the day. This is when I'm not doing anything aside from sitting in the air-conditioning. Doing something on less water must have set the whole fainting situation off.

No comments: