Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Random thoughts

  • When I said "on the wagon," what I should have said is that I am hobbling along next to the wagon. Which means that I have been to the gym twice in the past two weeks (or twice in the past 10 days, technically).
  • My dog is super-cute tonight. She has this game where she holds her stuffed animal in her mouth and plays soccer with the ball. Tonight she's in the mood to go get it twice, then take it back to her bed, until I get comfortable on the couch again.
  • Did I mention we went to Mr. D's coworkers apartment to watch the Fourth of July fireworks? And that immediately after the fireworks, another guest plugged in his camera and we all had to watch 70 photos of the fireworks show that we just watched?
  • I finally updated my Goodreads shelf, but I don't know why I didn't get a notification that Michelle was waiting to be my bookshelf friend (or whatever they call it). Notes on the books:
  1. I guess I am technically still reading "Too Big to Fail," but it's not exactly a read-before-lights-out-in-bed book, unless you want to immediately fall asleep.
  2. I have been reading "Guns, Germs, and Steel" since we got back from Italy in May. Normally, I don't read this slowly, but it's a dense book. Interesting, but dense.
  3. As soon as I finish #2, I'm going to read the new Stieg Larsson (sp?) book, but if I give up #2 now, I don't know if I'll have the willpower to go back.
  4. I am always reading Ratio (a present from J&R). I lurve it - I have used it to try to get away from recipes without creating disasters, but this would be an excellent choice for anyone trying to learn how to cook, too. Michael Ruhlman (blog here) wrote the book to explain the most basic recipes in cooking, from a chart he found in a professor's office at cooking school (which he wrote about in one of his other books). I use Ratio all the time, but I still feel like I should use it more (I have another post on this in me, but it will need a few days to put together). In the meantime, check out Michael Ruhlman's blog, where he elaborates on some of the ratios in each post (unless he's having fun adventures, like eating his way through cured meat in Italy), and you can always click on the book on the right to find out more about the book.

1 comment:

A.B. said...

I am impressed with your stamina of going to the gym 2x in 10 days. You should celebrate that with a day off.

I have the girl who played iwth fire on my nightstand... I've read the forward. I promise I'll get there...