Monday, July 26, 2010

Weekend Activities

This weekend tacked on another two days of record heat (hence my really short post on Saturday). I was miserable. For example, we had J of R&J over for dinner while R was out of town, and I couldn't even change out of the shorts and tank top I had on all day. Sorry, J. We made chicken in almond butter sauce with cold, roasted zucchini, and homemade bread (zucchini and chicken from the Silver Spoon cookbook, and the bread from the Ratio cookbook). J brought over peach buckle, which is a cake-y thing made in a cast iron skillet.

Sunday, we hung out with J again and went to see SALT. We convinced Mr. D to go, despite the poor Rotten Tomato ranking - he's usually a stickler. I thought it was great - I mean, not fabulous or deeply meaningful, but definitely a fun way to spend a few hours in the air-conditioning.

Not that we don't have air-conditioning at the apartment, but, and I never thought I would say this, I miss the Texas heat. In Texas, no one is silly enough to venture outside to walk anywhere, much less the grocery store, like I did. As I tried to explain to our doorman, it may be hot, but no one goes outside until twilight. You go from your air-conditioned house to the air-conditioned car, to the air-conditioned store. Not from your air-conditioned apartment, to your un-air-conditioned hallway/elevator, to the sweltering subway station, to walk to your air-conditioned office. Disaster. Luckily, it cooled off today, but we'll just have to see about tomorrow.

2 comments:

eewhite said...

the other problem is you don't have central air so the air doesn't circulate as well. to cool off you almost have to sit on the air conditioner and enjoy the cold metal on your bum

Maggie said...

Exactly. We have the big long boxes that sit under the window, which are great - I can't imagine having only a window unit. I also cannot believe a certain co-worker of mine who was complaining that her new apartment didn't have central air - so her bathroom wouldn't be cool. Can it really be that common?