Monday, November 24, 2008

New Job

As you might be able to tell from the last post, I managed to find a job! It came about as a bit of an accident, and is a little bit of a long story, but I'll try to condense it and bullet it out.
  • one weekend I am somewhat depressed about the job situation and expand the search to include medical office management, which I have done, and could do well, but would not be the most exciting thing in the world, especially after going to the trouble of getting an MBA
  • the woman from the agency that had one of the listings I responded to called and asked me to interview with her
  • I go and interview with the agency and they send me right over to a plastic surgeon's office, whose primary concern is that she wants an employee to stay with her for at least two years
  • The interview goes well and she asks me to come to the office for a trial run (2 hours working with the current manager)
  • She offers me the job, wants me to come in for a couple days the next week then full time, I tell her I need to talk to the hubs because he hadn't been home the past two nights and had no idea what was going on
  • She interprets this as some sort of weakness, and says she'll continue to interview until I give her an answer, at which point I say that I will let her know later that afternoon
  • I email her (her preferred method of contact) that I would like to accept half an hour after leaving the office
  • The next day I receive a call from the recruiter saying that the doctor "was referred someone else by a colleague and wanted to go with her," so both the recruiter and I got screwed
  • Next Monday the recruiter tells me she has another position
  • I go to the interview, everyone is very nice, and they hire me, while telling me that they would prefer it if I look for other jobs while in my probationary period, so that I know that I really want to be there

1 comment:

Skywalker said...

huh - Man that first situation was tough - a weakness to at least tell your husband "Babe, I am about to take this job" - you don't want work for a boss who doesn't respect your home life.

Congrats on finding a job.