Monday, April 5, 2010

Weekend in St. Louis

My Grandpa's (90th) birthday party turned out to be a huge success - all but one of the grandchildren was able to make it to St. Louis for the party. As soon as Mr. D and I landed, we met up with my baby sister, then drove to the hotel to meet up with Mom, Dad, ReeRee, and her husband. We had received a text at the airport that they had lunch waiting for us - delicious Amighetti's specials. This sandwich is just delicious; it's very simple, just meat, cheese, and some condiments - but it's amazing. So amazing, in fact, that all of us kids got together and had them shipped to my dad for his birthday (along with something else, to be named later).

After lunch, I received a few belated birthday presents, from my mom and my brother (don't worry, they're not bad people, one is a med student and the other let me graciously turn down her first present idea). One of my presents didn't fit quite right, so Mom, baby sis, and I went over to Ann Taylor LOFT to make an exchange, which is when I found a completely cute pair of blue linen pants. Then back to the hotel to change into the "party outfit" before we caravaned out.

We met at the "retirement community" where my grandparents live - we had rented out the rec room upstairs for cake and general merriment, as all of us would not have fit inside my grandparent's apartment. My cousin brought some cakes, so we sang "Happy Birthday," ate some cake, had some beverages of choice, and caught up with each other.

ReeRee had also arranged for a photographer to come in, so that we could get a picture made of the entire family. That poor woman certainly had her work cut out for her: there were 23 of us, drab once-white walls, and fluorescent lighting. Not to mention 10 different groups of people (the whole group, grandparents and grandchildren, each separate family unit, etc), all of whom really just want to eat more cake. Plus, we realized halfway through the shots that my grandmother was a) wearing sweatpants and b) turning her head sideways for some of the pictures to see what was going on with the golf tournament.

More tomorrow on the dinner and brunch portions of the weekend...

No comments: