Monday, August 16, 2010

Kitchen Goodness

J and I met up for drinks on the terrace at the apartment complex, one of our favorite places to meet up - though we did have to move the party to the lounge area when it started to drizzle on us. While we were there, we talked about what I should bring over to their house for dinner the next night. I was assigned dessert, and assured J that I would be able to bring it, even though I would have work the next day. At 8:30, we went upstairs to our respective apartments to have dinner. Due to the power of the Ratio book, I was able to throw together a pound cake that night. Pound cake is really easy, but the one is the book is a citrus pound cake, which wouldn't go with the hazelnut ice cream Mr. D and I had made the weekend before nearly so well as a chocolate one.

That is the wonderful thing about the ratio book. You know you have the basics, and the book shows you how easy it can be to tweak the recipes, so I just added some cocoa powder to the recipe - but since cocoa is so dry, I just added a little milk to the mixture to make sure that the cake stayed moist. Pop it in the oven, and voila.

Once we were at J&R's apartment, I made some chocolate sauce (also ratio) - heat some milk and pour over an equal amount of chocolate. Stir to melt the chocolate, and you're done (but you can add a liquor or flavoring to it too). To make the dessert, we put the pound cake on the plate, topped it with hazelnut ice cream and then drizzled (read - drowned) the ice cream with the chocolate. Tadaaa!

Note - this was a bit of a fail, as I tried to remember to take a picture of this last night when we had the leftovers for our own dessert. I remembered before dinner, and I remembered after dinner, but then I forgot until after I had finished devouring my dessert.

No comments: